Underage Consumption?

Cumming, GA |

I got arrested for underage consumption on April Friday the 13Th and I have court May 3rd and Last night which is the Th of April I got a citation for underage drinking I was under ).08 and got sent home. I'm curious if they will find out about my citation when i got to court on May 3rd. Plus what i can expert at court .. I'm really scared, a completely done with drinking till I am officially 21. I just wanna know what to do not to go to jail.... on May 3rd and what i should expect plus i am representing myself since my parents are not helping me what so ever, and i can not afford a attorney. I would like to have one but that's not happening. So please HELP! By the way I'M 17 these are my first adult charges.

1. The fact that it has been alleged that you committed another offense DOES NOT MEAN YOU WILL BE FOUND GUILTY of doing so.

The State will have to prove each and every element of the charged offense.

A pending case can NOT be used against you at sentencing because, again, you are innocent until proven guilty.

If the prosecutor checked your record it may show that you have a pending case which may cause them to be more skeptical about giving you a break. In my opinion, you need to be evaluated and obtain treatment which will show the Court you are taking this seriously and deserve a break.

You should also apply for the public defender

The answer provided is for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship between Adam Sean Cohen and the user or browser. The opinions expressed are only the opinions of Adam Sean Cohen.

2. If this is your second underage possession charge you are facing increased punishment, longer probation, higher fines, etc... and very likely the State will want to impose some type of alcohol/substance abuse evaluation. Depending upon which jurisdiction in the Cumming area your court is in you may have access to a public defender that can help you at no or very limited cost.

3. You cannot afford NOT to have a lawyer. You face thousands of dollars in fines, jail time, and possibly even a loss of your driver's license. As a 17 year old, your parents are still responsible for you, and their finances should be considered if you apply for a court appointed attorney. So, ... have you told them? If not, do so.

Good luck

You can contact me at my office at 770-744-4211 or by email through this website. The questioner and any reader do not have an attorney-client relationship formed by our communications on this website. Advice given by me on this website is general advice based on partial information. You should not rely on any advice given without first hiring a lawyer in the area where the case is pending, and providing that lawyer with full information.