Under what section should I put my reckless driving (misdemeanor) in my n-400 application for US Citizenship

Asked over 1 year ago - Kennesaw, GA

I got a reckless driving ticket in August, while driving through the state of VA on my way back from DC for driving over 80 miles per hour. I have paid the fine and was not arrested.
I know that misdemeanors are not considered just speeding tickets, but I am not sure when on the form to put this. any info would be appreciated.

Thank You,
Samuel

1. David Nabow Soloway

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . It is appropriate to check "yes" to Question 16 in the Good Moral Character section of the naturalization application to indicate a traffic citation. The Atlanta Field Office of the USCIS has indicated that it does not require certified disposition documents for speeding tickets where the fine paid did not exceed $500, but some adjudicating officers are unfamiliar with this and so to avoid the risk of delay it would be wise to take to the naturalization interview/examination certified disposition documents. Note too that a single speeding ticket should be inconsequential for naturalization approval, if an applicant has other "blemishes" in their record some complications may arise.

[Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

David N. Soloway
    Frazier, Soloway & Kennedy, P.C.
    1800 Century Place, Suite 100
    Atlanta, Georgia 30345 www.fspklaw.com
    404-320-7000 * 1-877-232-5352 * dsoloway@fspklaw.com

2. Laura L Lichter

3

1

Answered . Even though it might not be an issue--and doesn't necessarily fit the question, better to disclose. You can answer "no" and add "see attached" to the question on criminal activity.

3. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

2

1

Answered . You can add an addendum page wherein you describe what happened. make sure to provide proof of the payment.