Under What Circumstances does a lawyer take a case "Pro Bono?"

Asked 10 months ago - Seattle, WA

I am desperate for a lawyer to prove my innocence & get my daughter back. A public defender just doesn't have enough time to deal with each & every case with care. Can someone tell me another option for a good person wrongfully accused of neglect in WA State? I NEED help getting my baby back.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Michelle Teresa Dellino


    Contributor Level 11


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Some attorneys will work with you on a flexible payment plan or reduced rates, but few are in a position to take a case on completely pro bono. Your best chance for pro bono representation is through a legal clinic or legal aid group in your areas but in those cases resources are scarce and you may be waiting for awhile.

    Feel free to contact my office at 206.659.6839. We may be able to help, or if not we can at least point you in the direction of the right resources to help once we know more about your situation.

    This answer is my personal opinion and is offered for informational purposes only. This is not a legal opinion,... more
  2. Bruce Clement


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . This sounds like a CPS case in which the court has appointed an attorney to represent you. Your best bet is to work with that attorney. Call the WA state bar association to see if a pro bono attorney can be found to represent you. It’s always best to consult with a good family law attorney to discuss the details before you act. See my AVVO Legal Guides on CPS and child custody cases for more information about the legal issues raised by your inquiry. Please keep in mind that although these Legal Guides are often informative, they are no substitute for legal advice from an attorney you have retained for consultation or representation. There are always exceptions to the general rules. Click on my photo. On my AVVO home page click on "Contributor Level - View Contributions" or scroll down further and click on "Contribution - Legal Guides." Scroll down the list of my 31 Legal Guides and select the topics relevant to your question. If you like my answer and Legal Guides, please make sure you mark them as “helpful” or “best answer”. © Bruce Clement

    ©Bruce Clement. This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in... more
  3. Sean Patrick Lewis

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Contact your local legal services folks. They may be able to provide info as to how you might attract the attention of pro bono counsel. I will say, however, that not many attorneys will take these types of cases for free.

    The above is not intended to be legal advice, but may be used for general information. Please contact an attorney... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,296 answers this week

3,204 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,296 answers this week

3,204 attorneys answering