Skip to main content

Under what circumstances can i sue my employer for wrongful termination.the company is an at will employer.i was not guilty

Jonesboro, GA |

at the dept labor i was found not guilty.although i do not have a contract per se we have an employee handbook.i was a store manager and was dismiss for failure to protect company property.i have not been able to get employed.what action can i take.i work for the company 11 yrs.and had no prior problem

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You may be able to bring a claim for discrimination if you are aware of other employees of different protected classes (e.g. if you are a man and the other employee is a woman, or if you are African American and the other employee is Caucasian, etc.) engaged in the same conduct but were not terminated.

You may also have a claim for slander if your employer has been telling prospective employers why you were fired and the reason is not true. Most employers know better than to say anything about why you were fired though. You should consult a local attorney because there may be other potential claims. In the meantime, keep looking for work and good luck.


As an at-will employee, you can quit at any time for any reason, you can be fired for any reason, a rotten reason, or no reason, except unlawful discrimination. If you do not have an employment contract or union to represent you, your recourse is limited. Discrimination based on age, gender, race, religious beliefs etc.... may give rise to a different answer.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "Workplace Discrimination: A Basis for Wrongful Termination Claims"

If you have a discrimination theory about retaliatory discharge or hostile workplace conditions you'll need a lawyer. Religious belief, age, gender, race etc. all are discriminatory reasons for which you cannot be legally fired and upon which you might base a wrongful termination suit.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "How to Choose a Lawyer for you.”

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "What Do I Tell My Lawyer"?

No one can know what the record is in the case because online we cannot find out any details. Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

Good luck to you.

God bless. Best of luck to you.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the Thumbs-Up tab at the bottom. You may mark this as a Best Answer for the time I spent crafting this and thinking about your matter.

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer