Under Section 504 (education), are motorized doors required at public schools for handicapped or disabled children?

Asked 6 months ago - Oklahoma City, OK

Public elementary school has doors in front of the school that handicapped individuals are not able to open. It is not motorized and unable to be held open my an individual why they are also trying to get through the doorway into the school.

1. Robert L Mauro

3

Answered . Under Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), federal, state, and local programs are required to be accessible to individuals with disabilities. Depending upon whether or not there is another accessible entrance, the school may or may not be required to make the entrance of the school accessible. You can contact the Civil Rights Division of the US Department of Justice for more information.

2. Randy Jay Harvey

Pro

2

Answered . Schools are required to accommodate the disabled under Title II. They may not however be required to provide that specific accommodation. Older schools particularly have difficulty complying because they were not designed to accommodate disabled citizens whether in school or otherwise. The entire disability regulatory system is relatively new , within the last fifty-years . Many of our schools could have had Franklin Roosevelt in kindergarten. School districts scramble to come up with funds to put lifts and ramps, handrails, etc. They are required to comply; however, how quickly they do so is always problematic.
    Best of luck!

3. Kevin H. Pate

Answered . I do not believe the schools and other public places are under a mandate to provide automatic opening doors at the front door.

I've enclosed a link to the FAQ page from the Office of Disability Concerns