UNCONTESTED DIVORCE IN TEXAS (DIVORCE DECREE)

Asked over 1 year ago - Carrollton, TX

Hello , I am in the process of filling Divorce decree for uncontested divorce in Texas. I had a car before I got married , but now the car is on both of our names. My question do I need to mention that car is divorce decree when in fact me and my wife mutually agreed on terms internally about who is keeping the car? Thanks

1. JaPaula C Kemp

Pro

Answered . Yes it should be listed in the decree. What if your wife is not available after the divorce is final and you need to transfer the title? You need to consult with an attorney about this process.

2. Vicki Elaine Wiley

Answered . Yes, all assets should be listed in the decree, but especially th big ones. It protects both of you. Please consult a Family attorney in your local area. Many attorneys, like myself, give a free initial consult and can give you clearer guidance based on all the specific facts of your case. We so often see problems that are way more expensive to fix, if they re fixable, than the cost of having an attorney draft it correctly to begin with.

3. Thomas James Daley

Pro

Answered . Yes, list the car. There should be a section in your final order where you confirm each other's separate property. List the car in that section. I'm assuming there are no reimbursement issues being raised by your spouse regarding any payments that might have been made on the car during marriage or payments for insurance on the car made during marriage.

You will want to get the car retitled into your own name. You should either have your spouse sign a Power of Attorney to Transfer Title of Motor Vehicle (best choice) or make sure that the divorce decree says that the car is your sole and separate property; that she is divested of all right and title to the car; and that the decree of divorce serves as a muniment of title for all property awarded in the decree. That way, if she does not sign the POA, you can use the final decree of divorce as your legal authority to sell the car one day.

Good luck!!