Unauthorized work after J1 expiration and B2 extension denial

Asked about 1 year ago - Denver, CO

hello , thanks beforehand for your help
well i was on my J1 and started working in June , and in september i applied for B2 extension. i kept working until november 1st where i was not allowed to work that much ...
on march 2nd i got a denial letter from immigration , and left the US on 16th of march ...
IS THERE ANY CHANCE FOR ME TO COME BACK TO STUDY ? or i am probably done ???

Additional information

this all stated in 2009 june ... i applied for extension on the first week of september in 2009. the 2nd of march in 2010 i got a denial letter and left the usa on 16th...

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Kelly Lynn Ryan

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You should review your case with an immigration attorney. They will need to review the documentation to analyze the timeline of the events. Often there are waivers for past violations.

    Please note that this response is for informational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship.
  2. Christopher Daniel Leroi

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Use the Find a Lawyer tool here on Avvo in order to find an immigration attorney

    The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to... more
  3. Ajay Kumar Arora

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . This is complicated as it must distinguish between unauthorized status and unlawful presence; and more importantly whether you were maintaining J1 status per the DS-2019 when the change of status application was filed. If you were maintaining J1 status when the COS to B2 was filed, you were in a period of authorized stay until the denial of the COS application. Whether you are subject to the 3-year bar to entry to the U.S. based on 180 days or more of unlawful presence requires careful analysis of the facts. Please arrange for a legal consultation with an immigration attorney.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

J1 student visa

J-1 visas are an option for students who are receiving sponsorship to participate in cultural or educational programs in the United States.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,513 answers this week

3,431 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,513 answers this week

3,431 attorneys answering