Umbrella insurance cover a vacant home?

Hopkinton, MA |

Might be better to ask an insurance agent, but we are planning on walking away from our current house (nonreaffirmed as part of Ch7) and renting a new house out of state. If I were to add umbrella insurance to my renter's policy. would that cover me for personal liability for my old home while the foreclosure process is taking place (the home will be vacant)?

Thanks

Without providing your name or providing the address of the soon to be vacant house, I would call your insurance carrier this question. You are correct that you still need to insure the property while you still own it and correct that your current policy that covers the property that is occupied will not now cover a vacant house. The reason for this is the higher likelihood of vandalism, arson, etc... when a house is vacant as opposed to occupied. You will most likely have 2 options: 1) pay more for insurance; or 2) rent the property so it is occupied and require the renters to carry renter's insurance.

The renter should be notified that the property is in foreclosure and that you will receive only a couple of week's notice (as a forclosure sale needs to be advertised in the local newspaper for 3 consecutive weeks). I know this will severely limit the pool of tenants willing to rent your house, but if you can find a tenant who agrees to rent the property despite this knowledge, it would help you pay for your homeowner's insurance and other expenses (utility bills).

The content of this answer should not be relied upon or used as a subsitute for consultation with professional advisors and it should be clearly understood that no attorney-client privilege has been created. A more complete answer and/or more accurate answer can only be provided in a more thorough examination of the facts in a consultation with my firm.

It's going to depend on the language in the policy.

Please note: The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. Visiting this site does not create an attorney client relationship between our firm or any of its lawyers and you. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your particular situation.

Todd Allen Davidson

Todd Allen Davidson

Attorney Gutierrez is correct in that it is really the language in the policy that dictates if the policy contract and the representations of the insurance agent/company differ. The correct process would be to read your policy. The policy is supposed to be readable by an 11 year old, which I would think most people who read it would find amusing. I would then call your insurance company for quotes and other insurance options. I would also feel free to shop around with other insurance companies to see if you can get better coverage/better price.

You'll need to check specifically with your agent and get an answer in writing.

Do you want accurate, personalized, legal advice that you can rely on? You will have to hire an attorney, not ask on Avvo. I am not your attorney and am not creating an attorney-client relationship by this post. I am therefore giving only general advice. This advice may not apply to you or your situation; may not take account of all possibilities, and may not match the advice I would give to a client. DO NOT rely on this advice or any other advice on Avvo to make your legal decisions. If you want an answer to a legal question you should retain an attorney who is licensed in your state.