UK Sponsored L1A Visa in the USA, role change an unwilling to move.

I have been sponsored by my company on an L1A visa from the uk to the usa, i have been here for 6 months and my family have settled. My company now want me to re locate agin within the USA which I cannot do, am I protected at all with my sponsored visa i.e. if I do not accept do my company have to find a suitable position back in the uk for me or can they just terminate my employment?

Washington, DC -

Carl Michael Shusterman

Carl Michael Shusterman

Immigration Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

You must stay with your company to remain in L-1A status. If you change employers, you must be sponsored for another visa type. If you are eligible for H-1B professional status, your new employer had better apply quickly since H-1B numbers are running out.

Please see

Ismail E. Laher

Ismail E. Laher

Immigration Attorney - Washington, DC

This is a tough one for you as a family. However, from an immigration view point, you need to stay in "status" while you are here. This requires you to maintain you L1 A status with this employer or find another way to legally remain in Status.

What your employer can or cannot do for you is driven by your specific employment agreement with them.

Thomas Esparza Jr.

Thomas Esparza Jr.

Immigration Attorney - Austin, TX

sorry sir, but you are a slave to the visa and the company. unless you have an employment contract that is enforceable you are all out of luck. massa controls your destiny. step outside the box and do what is right for you.

Richard Andrew Constantino Alton

Richard Andrew Constantino Alton

Immigration Attorney - Miami, FL

I agree with my colleague and note that it appears you are the convergence of two fields; employment and immigration. You must properly maintain your employment to stay in L-1 status, now if you feel that your company will wrongfully terminate you or fails to keep up their end of a bargain, it may be wise to speak with an employment attorney. The reality of the situation though is you are in a status that places you at the whim of the employer. It may sound stark, but if you feel yourself locked in to some form of indentured servitude, there is no reason that you must bend yourself to their will. But if you do not, you will find yourself out of status. This is the essence of a catch-22.

J Charles Ferrari

J Charles Ferrari

Immigration Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

In order to remain in L-1 status, you must continue your employment with the company that petitioned you. Whether the company would have to find a suitable position for you back in the UK would depend on UK law, contract law, etc, and is not an immigration question.