U.S citizen petitioning for sibling.

Asked over 1 year ago - Seattle, WA

I am a U.S citizen. My sister from Turkey has been staying with me for 2 months on a tourist visa. If I petition for her, can she stay in the U.S. while the case is pending?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Not only can she not stay longer than her nonimmigrant status or its legal extension, if any, allows; if petitioned by you, she will be very unlikely to come back to visit you in the next 14 years or so.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866)... more
  2. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No, sorry. A sibling petition under current law takes 10-14 years to become current and have a visa number available.

    An immigrant petition filed on a sibling's behalf does not give any right to remain in the US. To remain, sister must otherwise find a valid nonimmigrant visa category (student, work, etc.) to remain in valid lawful status in the US.

    Iyı akşamlar dılerım.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  3. Barbara A Marcouiller


    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . Sadly, no. I'd be happy to explain more, but that's the straightforward answer

    This reply is intended only as general information and does not constitute legal advice in any particular case.... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,686 answers this week

3,179 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,686 answers this week

3,179 attorneys answering