Skip to main content


San Jose, CA |

I want to write a sponsorship letter for my father in law and mother in law so that they can visit us here in U.S. for a family plus tourist visit.

Do i need to get the letter NOTARIZED so that they can take it go to EMBASSY and apply for a tourist visa?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Notarization is required. They must show that they have nonimmigrant intent and will return to their home country, are coming here and won't work (Note: Taking care of grandchildren is considered work.), and show they can pay for their stay here and not be a public charge. The finances can be shown with your inviitation letter and bank statement indicating you will be respnsoible for their room and board while here, Affidavit of Support (Form I-134 or their own proof of funds.

Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
Concentrating in Immigration and Nationality Law
2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
San Diego, CA 92108
phone: (619) 299-9600, facsimile: (619) 923-3277

Formerly Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
University of Illinois College of Law


A letter of invitation can be submitted by your parents at the time of the interview. It can be done in a "free" form, meaning there is no form for it. An affidavit of support is not required for B visa, but if you'd like, you can prepare it. In the letter you need to state who you are, who you are inviting and how that person is related to you, where the guests will stay, that you are going to take care of their expenses. Notarization is not required, but advisable, along with a copy of your green card/ US passport...

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney Blog:


Notarization is not required. You can write a simple letter addressing it to the Consulate. What other documents, namely, affidavit of support, etc. are required would depend on whether you are sponsoring the trip, whether they will temporarily live with you, etc.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer