U.S. TOURIST VISA.....NON-IMMIGRANT.

Asked over 1 year ago - San Jose, CA

I want to write a sponsorship letter for my father in law and mother in law so that they can visit us here in U.S. for a family plus tourist visit.

Do i need to get the letter NOTARIZED so that they can take it go to EMBASSY and apply for a tourist visa?

1. Alena Shautsova

Pro

3

6

Answered . A letter of invitation can be submitted by your parents at the time of the interview. It can be done in a "free" form, meaning there is no form for it. An affidavit of support is not required for B visa, but if you'd like, you can prepare it. In the letter you need to state who you are, who you are inviting and how that person is related to you, where the guests will stay, that you are going to take care of their expenses. Notarization is not required, but advisable, along with a copy of your green card/ US passport...

2. Lynne Rogers Feldman

2

1

Answered . Notarization is required. They must show that they have nonimmigrant intent and will return to their home country, are coming here and won't work (Note: Taking care of grandchildren is considered work.), and show they can pay for their stay here and not be a public charge. The finances can be shown with your inviitation letter and bank statement indicating you will be respnsoible for their room and board while here, Affidavit of Support (Form I-134 or their own proof of funds.

Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
    Concentrating in Immigration and Nationality Law
    2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
    San Diego, CA 92108
    phone: (619) 299-9600, facsimile: (619) 923-3277
    email: lynne@feldmanfeldman.com
    website: www.immigrateme.com

Formerly Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
    University of Illinois College of Law

3. Tripti Sharad Sharma

1

Answered . Notarization is not required. You can write a simple letter addressing it to the Consulate. What other documents, namely, affidavit of support, etc. are required would depend on whether you are sponsoring the trip, whether they will temporarily live with you, etc.