Typically how long does it take to get a date for a felony arraignment?

Asked 5 months ago - Rome, GA

I was arrested on burglary and party to a crime charges and bonded out after only spending 18 hours in jail. I was told at the jail I would be mailed a date for the arraignment and that was a week ago. I am trying to get an accurate time frame as I am currently getting funds together to hire an attorney and am hoping I will have enough time to do so. I have been told by multiple people, including the bondsman, that it will take an average of 3 or so months and am wondering what the accuracy of this is? Everything I have read online says its within 72 hours of being arrested...

1. John Arnold Steakley

2

Answered . You WOULD HAVE seen a magistrate for an initial appearance within 72 hours had you stayed in jail, but you didn't. You're no longer in custody, so the 72-hour rule doesn't apply to you.

Three months is actually pretty quick. I would have said at least six, but it varies from county to county. If you were in Fulton County, I'd tell you three YEARS.

2. Mark J. Issa

1

1

Answered . You will not get an arraignment date within 72 hours of arrest. It will likely take months and in some places, years. Consult with attorneys in the meanwhile and be sure the Court and bonding company have your correct address.

3. James Lawrence Yeargan Jr.

Pro

1

Answered . You have to go in front of a judge for a first appearance within 48 hours if you are arrested without a warrant, and within 72 hours of arrest if you were arrested on a warrant. This is not the arraignment date. You will receive an arraignment in several months up to a year depending on which court your case is in.

4. McCracken Poston

Answered . Depends on the jurisdiction. If you please don't talk about the particulars about your case, you can call the clerk to get a better idea how that county runs in terms of time, but it really depends on several other factors, such as if the investigative file has made it to the prosecutor from the officer or detective. Your lawyer will need time to work for you, so please don't wait to get a court date to engage a lawyer.