TX probate dispute re: property of decedent/intestate. Applicants atty changed is official notification/filing w court required?

Asked about 2 years ago - Friendswood, TX

Texas probate matter regarding the distribution of property belonging to someone who died intestate. Applicant's have had the same solo attorney for entire case until it became necessary for "Applicant's/Movants" counsel to file a "Motion to Show Cause" due to third party refusing to cooperate by turning over property. The "Applicant's/Movants" counsel changed at the time the motion to show cause was filed, and has not changed back ever since. However, the County Clerk still shows the Attorney of Record to be the original attorney who started on the case & she claims not to be representing anymore. Are Applicant's/Movant's and/or their new counsel required to file some type of official notice regarding change of counsel with the County Clerk for proper record keeping/contact info?

1. Orsen E. Paxton III

Pro

3

Answered . Why wouldn't you ask your own lawyer this question? The Texas Rules of Civil Procedure do provide for a Motion to Substitute Attorney of Record when a party changes lawyers but a Court has the power to permit an attorney to make an appearance for a party at any time.

DISCLAIMER: This is not specific legal advice and does not establish an attorney/client relationship.
  2. Donald Joseph Quinn II

1

Best Answer

Answered . You need to ask the clerk of the court this question. They have the best handle on the law unless the "new" atty will answer the question.

3. Eric Jerome Gold

Pro

1

Answered . Given that you apparently have counsel, that is who should be addressing your concerns.