TX laws: one of our apartment tenant was cut stealing our equipment and pawing them. But current on rent?????

Asked almost 2 years ago - Dallas, TX

How to evict this tenant if rent is current? Is this solely a Plice matter?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Kevin Matthew Koel

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you used any standard lease form, most likely there is a provision that states the tenant must not violate the law or local regulations. This provision could possibly be used as the default under the lease to allow for an eviction. If not sure, go see a real estate attorney to assist you further in determining your rights.

    If this response was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. The response provided herein is for... more
  2. Cheryl Rivera Smith

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . A tenant can be found in default on a lease other than non payment of rent. Read the lease agreement thoroughly you may be able to evict.

  3. Elizabeth Marguerite Broussard

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . That's pretty bold! Stealing the landlord's equipment violates numerous provisions of the Texas Apartment Association form lease. Before you proceed with an eviction, though, make sure you have some credible evidence to present to the court. You're going to need witnesses who will be willing to testify. While I realize that most apartment managers are experienced at handling evictions for people who are behind on their rent, I would recommend that you work with an attorney on this one because it's not typical. And yes,
    you can call the police.

Related Topics

Property rental agreement

A rental agreement is a contract outlining terms of tenancy for a certain period of time. Short-term rental agreements may renew automatically until cancelled.

Landlord-tenant law

Landlord-tenant law is governed mostly by state laws, and covers issues like security deposit limits and deadlines, evictions, and the right to withhold rent.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,349 answers this week

3,552 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,349 answers this week

3,552 attorneys answering