TX- DFW: Need Immigration Attorney to Adjust Green Card.

Grand Prairie, TX |

My mother was given her green card last year after 2-3 years delay for unexplained reasons other that processing delay. Now that they issued her the green card, it has a wrong date on it. It states that she is a resident since 2011 while in reality she has been a resident since 2008.
I need help with correcting the GC. Please advise on fees if possible.

Thank you so much in advance.

Have her make an InfoPass appointment and get this corrected without the help of an attorney.

Please click the link below for additional information.

---------
Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Subscribe to our Free Immigration Newsletter
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

What makes you think she was a resident since 2008? USCIS determines when she was admitted as a lawful permanent resident.

Madrid Crost Law Group - (888) 466-4478; e-mail: mc@madridcrost.com; skype: usvisalaw 10 S. La Salle Street, Suite 3320, Chicago, IL 60603 Please consult with a licensed immigration professional to provide you with a thorough legal advice. This response is not a substitute for specific legal advice and it should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship. Please help stop notario fraud. Please visit and share this site: www.stopnotariofraud.org.

She received political asylum in 2008 and applied for her GC in 2010 with other family members. The other members got their GC saying they are residents since 2008 but hers says since 2011.

Mary Carmen Remigio Madrid-Crost

Mary Carmen Remigio Madrid-Crost

Yes, her LPR sttaus should be from 2008. Although she needed to wait anothre year to file her applicaion for adjustment of status, her LPR status retroacts to hen she was first granted an asylee status. This is important as it will have an impact as to when she can file for naturalization. We can certainly help in requesting this correction.

More facts are needed in order to evaluate this case When your mother's case was approved determines when she became a resident, not when it was filed Consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can review the case to determine what needs to be done and the estimated fee to resolve the problem.

While this answer is provided by a Florida Bar Certified Expert in Immigration and Nationality Law, it is for general information purposes only and an attorney/client relationship is neither intended nor created. You should seek out qualified counsel to review your case and provide you with advice specific to your situation. Call +1-561-478-5353 to schedule a consultation with Mr. Devore.

She was granted asylum in 2009 with another family member. Then they both applied for GC in 2010. The other member got the GC stating resident since 2008, while my mother's paper was kept delayed for no reason. Finally after a congressional inquiry was made, the immigration office admitted to losing her papers and had to tally all the applications and found it. That delay cost us more than $400 to do medical testing and so forth all over again. At the end they issued her the GC but it stated that she was a resident since 2011. I am confused. Not to be rude but why would their failure to do their job cause her to push her right to be a resident for 2 more years.

Jeffrey Adam Devore

Jeffrey Adam Devore

An asylee whose status is adjusted to that of a permanent resident is entitled to back dating of the residence period for 1 year as of the date residence is approved. Thus, if your mother's application was approved on 12/01/2012 she is considered to be a resident as of 12/01/2011 and that should be the date on her card The fact that USCIS may have made errors in processing the application which delayed approval does not change that. ----------- Jeffrey A. Devore, Esq. Board Certified Immigration Attorney Devore Law Group, P.A. 4100 RCA Blvd., Suite 110 Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410 Telephone: (561) 478-5353 Facsimile: (561) 478-2144 Skype: jeffrey.a.devore email: jdevore@devorelawgroup.com web: www.devorelawgroup.com

I agree with my colleague. You would like to do an infopass 1st. USCIS might be able to fix the problem.

This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice. Consult with a qualified attorney before making any legal decisions. Gen Kimura, (832) 247-6932.

If this was a Service Error than USCIS will fix it and not charge you. You ought to first go see them after making an Infopass appointment online at www.uscis.gov than look for Infopass. Enter all your info. You can also apply for a new card online on form I-90 and claim service error but your first step as the other colleagues have said is go to your local immigration office and speak to an IIO-Immigration Information Officer and explain the predicament. They can in turn than email the Card Production Center in Mesquite, Texas and order a new card but usually you must also apply for the new I-551 (green card) with the form I-90 but instead of paying claims "Service Error." Good luck.

Although I agree that it's important to have the date changed to reflect when she was first given asylum, I don't necessarily think you need an attorney. You may, as my colleagues suggested, be able to fix the error on your own. Start with an InfoPass. If they cannot help you or do not, or if you need assistance following their instructions, then you should consult an attorney in the area.

Please remember this is not official legal advice, and this is no way establishes an attorney-client relationship. For a free 15 minute phone consultation please call 972-638-7207.