Two week notice at a Job?

Asked over 2 years ago - West Bloomfield, MI

As an Employee is the two week notice mandatory before quitting a Job?

1. Travis I. Dafoe

Pro

6

1

Answered . There is no Michigan or federal law requiring you to provide two weeks notice. I would recommend reviewing your employee handbook, because you may be eligible or ineligible for vacation pay or other benefits if you do not provide two-weeks notice. The employee handbook will provide any guidance.

2. Edward Jacob Sternisha

Pro

4

1

Answered . No. You can quit a job anytime. Employers usually request that you give them two weeks notice so they can plan and find someone to fill your position. Some employers may not give you a positive recommendation in the future if you do not give them the courtesy.

3. Michael S. Haber

Pro

3

1

Answered . The phrase "two weeks notice" has entered our lexicon, but has no force of law. It has, however, garnered some moral suasion. Courtesy counts -- not as a legal matter though. If you wish to leave on good terms, it is ordinarily incumbent upon you to consult with your employer as to how much time is needed by the employer in order to avoid transition difficulties.

Good luck to you.