Two people were in a car accident in Ohio, no citations were issued. One driver was insured the other was not.

Asked about 2 years ago - Duluth, GA

Both drivers were injured. The driver that was not insured was pregnant and lost the baby, she is stating as a result of the accident. What is the liability to the insured driver as related to the injuries of the uninsured driver?

1. Thomas John Ashenden

Pro

5

Answered . Even though neither driver was issued a citation, the Ohio police report should reflect the investigating officer's findings of fault. It is very rare to not have such an indication on the report, at least in Georgia. It is not as unusual to have no citations issued. If the pregnant driver is not at fault and a doctor, ideally her treating doctor, is of the opinion that the collision caused her to lose the baby then she would have a viable claim against the other driver. In that case, she would need an Ohio attorney. I am assuming she is not represented by an attorney. If that is true, I would be able to recommend attorneys in Ohio, if you wish. Feel free to call or email me.

2. Henry David Bullard

4

Answered . If the insured driver was at fault he/she is liable for the other driver's injuries. As for the fetus, if it was "quick," meaning the mother could feel it move, that loss is compensable, as well.

3. Harry Edward Hudson Jr

4

Answered . If the ccident is in Ohio, contact an Ohio attorney. There may be differences in law affecting an uninsured's ablity to recover damages in excess of out of poscket expenses, and Ohio may or may not n=be a no fault state. You need the advice of someone fmiliar with the laws in that state.

4. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

2

Answered . First of all, you posted in teh wrong place. In using a Georgia address, Ohio lawyers won;t see your question. Repost using an Ohio addressn so Ohio lawyers see your question. The presence or absence of insurance has NO effect on liability. Determining who is at fault does (and that is not decided by traffic tickets).

5. Timothy Minthorn Klob

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with the prior posts here that you will need to sort out venue and that you may find that this is an Ohio claim despite the fact that you are posting your question from Georgia. Consulting an experienced personal injury attorney will ensure that these issues are addressed, and that this claim is pursued in the right forum, and that will be the key to determining liability as well.

6. Robert M. Gardner Jr.

1

Answered . As you can see from the other posts, the uninsured driver could have a claim if the other driver was at fault. However, the nature of the claim and the definitions of fault, no-fault, and/or decree of liability will all depend on Ohio law, which could be much different from what we are experienced with here in Georgia. Another thing to be concerned about is the residence of the insured driver, as this may affect where the case would be brought. Find someone on AVVO who lists their practice as auto accident defense in Ohio, as that would be the best place to start.