Two ?'s on ssi retirement and ssd disability, as well as finding out if someone used my dad's ssi number to cash in

Asked 9 months ago - Pennsauken, NJ

checks they were not intiteled to...my dad passed in 2008...I was on ssi/ssd...if I am an adult, does his childrend that r grown get his ssi retirement and ssd..for he had lots of health issues and passed...secondly he was living with my sister who is now deceased and the man she was living with was a loser but never the less she was to blind to see this...just would like to no how I can find out if this ex of my sister's is somehow collecting or using my dads number which i don't have but do have his full name and birth date and date of his passing....also if any of his grown kids r on ssi/ssd like myself am i intitled to any of his retirement ssi or ssd...n how do I make sure this ex of my sister's is not using my dads or sisters info to benefit him in anyway...he done so terrible things

1. Stephanie O Joy

1

Answered . checks they were not intiteled to...my dad passed in 2008...I was on ssi/ssd...if I am an adult, does his childrend that r grown get his ssi retirement --------- No.

and ssd.. --------- No.

for he had lots of health issues and passed... -------- So sorry!

secondly he was living with my sister who is now deceased and the man she was living with was a loser but never the less she was to blind to see this... ------ Happens too often.

just would like to no how I can find out if this ex of my sister's is somehow collecting or using my dads number which i don't have but do have his full name and birth date and date of his passing....
    ------- No, you can't likely find out directly. But what you can do is notify the SSA of your dad's info and his passing, to make sure it is aware, so that it can make sure no one is pretending your father is alive still and letting the checks continue to be sent and cashed.

also if any of his grown kids r on ssi/ssd like myself am i intitled to any of his retirement ssi or ssd...------- No. Had you been disabled before age 22, and are not already receiving adult child benefits under your dad's records (such as if he had been collecting as a disabled or retired person prior to his passing)... then you could file for Disabled Adult Child benefits.

n how do I make sure this ex of my sister's is not using my dads or sisters info to benefit him in anyway...he done so terrible things ------- Unfortunately, no one has access to another's SS info, so the best you can really do is tell the SSA about your father's passing and ask your sister to make sure no one is collecting under her work record. She may be able to do so by contacting the SSA directly. However, I see no way the ex could be doing that, at least with regard to your sister. And only with your father IF no one told the SSA he'd passed.

Good luck with everything.

Sincerely,
    Stephanie O. Joy, Esq.
    SSD/CDR Benefits Protection Attorney

2. Michael T Warshaw

1

Answered . You get no benefits from your father. ssi is needs based. ssd is yours. Other than survivor benefits, or dependency benefits, all social security benefits cease on death.

3. Kelvin P. Green

1

Answered . SSI and SSD benefits terminate on death. Many states have automated systems that report the death to prevent overpayments.

SSI is a needs based program so there is no extended benefit to family members.

I am not certain about the SSD, but Widows and minor children have some entitlement.