Turn in date for jail time

Perris, CA |
Filed under: Criminal defense

I have a friend that recieved a 8 mo. Jail sentence with a 30 day stay. His turn in date was today. When he got there to the court they told him to come back in 2 weeks that they went ready for him. I find that hard to believe. I was wondering if that ever happens?

Sounds unusual, but not beyond the realm of possibilities. Do you distrust what your friend is telling you or are you just surprised that perhaps the jail wasn't taking people today? What is your stake in this situation?

San Diego Criminal Defense Attorney--19 years experience. Law Offices of Jay S. Finnecy

Seems odd, but I guess it's possible. I've never heard of someone being turned away from a surrender date, myself.

Keep in mind that it's not uncommon for defendants and onlookers to misunderstand or misinterpret the goings on in criminal court. So that's a possibility, too.

Any statements I make in these forums (fora?) should not be taken as direct legal advice, merely informed guidance. This is true due to the anonymous nature of this venue, and the incomplete information which is invariably provided by the questions. It is imperative that you consult directly with an attorney regarding your specific situation before acting on or relying on anything represented here. Period.

Possible but unusual. It can happen though.

It seems likely to me that he was supposed to turn himself into the county jail, NOT the courthouse. When he went to court the clerk probably assumed he wanted to request a modification of his sentence and two weeks was the earliest they could schedule him.

Jay Scott Finnecy

Jay Scott Finnecy

Fair assumption. I hope the jail hasn't issued a warrant.