Trying to tour possible tenants through rental property.

Asked about 2 years ago - Bellingham, WA

I politely asked my current tenants if they could clean up for some prospective future tenants who I was going to tour the coming weekend. They said they would. When I brought the prospective tenants through, barely anything was cleaned. They maybe did the dishes and sprayed some febreeze. It’s really hard to sell a dirty apartment, is there any way I can force them to actually clean (maybe vacuum, pick up dirty clothes, and throw away the trash)?

1. Thuong-Tri Nguyen

1

Answered . "is there any way I can force them to actually clean (maybe vacuum, pick up dirty clothes, and throw away the trash)?" Probably not, unless the apartment is so filthy that it is an obvious health hazard (such as rodents running around, rotten food, human waste lying around).

What you can do is offer the tenants incentives to clean up. May be you can offer them a week's worth of rent for making the place presentable.