Skip to main content

Trying to make sense of my divorce progress, what should I do?

Long Beach, CA |

Filing Date: 01/05/2012
Case Type: Dissolution of Marriage (General Jurisdiction)
Status: Pending
Documents Filed (Filing dates listed in descending order)
08/07/2012 Stipulation-Waive Service Dec Disc
08/07/2012 Declaration-Serv Final Decl of Dis
Filed by Petitioner
08/07/2012 Stipulation, Appearance & Waivers
08/07/2012 Declaration-Default
05/15/2012 Judgment-Package Received-STIP
02/22/2012 Declaration-Serv Pre Dec Dis Inc
Filed by Petitioner
02/22/2012 Declaration-Income & Expense
Filed by Petitioner
02/15/2012 Declaration-Property
Filed by Respondent
02/15/2012 Response
Filed by Respondent
02/15/2012 Declaration-Serv Pre Dec Dis Inc
Filed by Respondent
01/19/2012 Proof of Service-Summons & Com
Filed by Petitioner
01/05/2012 Summons-Family Law
Filed by Petitioner

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Looks like you are describing the activity per the court website. Your spouse filed for divorce. You filed a response. You entered into some kind of agreement and agreed that it may proceed by default. The court received the judgment package. No decision on it yet. Too early to panic. The court will take weeks before it process the default package assuming it is correct.

  2. It is unclear from your question whether you are the petitioner or the respondent. A judgement package has been delivered to the Court pursuant to stipulation and the parties are waiting for it to be signed. You are not yet divorced.

  3. Most courts take approximately 6-8 weeks to review and approve/reject the judgment documents. Your paperwork is in the window. It is possible for the court to get to it sooner, but this is what the clerks are projecting. You will receive notice once the judgment is approved or rejected. That notice, assuming the judgment is approved, will give you your effective date of divorce. Until such time, you are still married. If your judgment is rejected, you will receive the documents back (or the Petitioner will) along with a rejection form that explains the deficiency/ies. Those will have to be corrected, re-filed (along with the rejection form) and you will again await approval or further rejection.

    I hope this is helpful.

    Since the information provided in your question is very limited and I have not had an opportunity to review all relevant facts, information, and documents, you should not rely on any specific responses to your questions. The information offered here is general in nature given that the slightest bit of additional information could change a specific answer (i.e. we separated 1 year ago and he has been paying all my expenses. Q: Do I owe him that money back? A: Yes. But what if he used money from a community asset, like a retirement account, to pay it back. A: maybe some or maybe none). In short, consult an attorney to review all relevant information so s/he can properly and accurately advise you. This free service IS NOT a substitute for legal advice and should not be considered legal advice at all.

  4. It appears that you or your spouse are in the final stage of completing the dissolution of marriage process. It also appears that a Judgment package was submitted in May 2012 and that they got around to processing it on August 7, 2012. What concerns me is that they didn't enter the Judgment, which can mean one of three things:
    (1) they haven't finished reviewing the Judgment,
    (2) there is a problem with the Judgment that was submitted and they will send you a rejection notice telling you what needs to be fixed, or
    (3) the court is in the process of setting a hearing to enter the Judgment. If the court sets a hearing date don't be alarmed. Usually when this happens the court just wants to make sure that both parties understand the Stipulation they have entered into.

    Either way you should be receiving something within the next two weeks letting you know the status. If you do not hear from the court I would suggest calling the clerks office.

    Please note that until you receive the Notice of Entry of Judgment and the Judgment indicating the dissolution date you are still married.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics