Trying to break a lease with one year left.

Asked over 1 year ago - Mount Pleasant, MI

During a smoke detector inspection, which I wasn't notified of the day or time when I asked, they came into my apartment when I was sleeping and woke me up. I want to move, can I break my lease with one year left? I have tried to fine someone to sublease and the Landlord knows I want out. What are my options?

1. Akiva E. Goldman

Pro

5

Answered . I agree with Mr. Frederick. A one-time occurrence like the one you described is probably not enough to break the lease. If he continues acting in this manner (dropping by unannounced), or if he fails to keep the premises in reasonable repair and fit for its intended purpose, you are likely to have a better argument. I hope it works out for you. Kind regards, Akiva.

2. James P. Frederick

4

Answered . If this was a one-time deal, you may have trouble breaking the lease for this reason alone. You are entitled to "quiet enjoyment" of the premises. But the landlord likely has reserved the right to inspect the property under reasonable circumstances. Whether or not this was reasonable is another matter.

You may want to review the Michigan Tenant Landlord booklet, which you can find, here: www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/publications/t...

James Frederick

3. Craig Jackson

1

Answered . Based on the facts given, you would not be able to break your lease. Your lease probably doesn't allow subleasing. Your best option is to discuss your desire to move out with your landlord in hopes that they would somehow agree to it (in writing of course).