Trying to break a lease with one year left.

Mount Pleasant, MI |

During a smoke detector inspection, which I wasn't notified of the day or time when I asked, they came into my apartment when I was sleeping and woke me up. I want to move, can I break my lease with one year left? I have tried to fine someone to sublease and the Landlord knows I want out. What are my options?

If this was a one-time deal, you may have trouble breaking the lease for this reason alone. You are entitled to "quiet enjoyment" of the premises. But the landlord likely has reserved the right to inspect the property under reasonable circumstances. Whether or not this was reasonable is another matter.

You may want to review the Michigan Tenant Landlord booklet, which you can find, here:

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

I agree with Mr. Frederick. A one-time occurrence like the one you described is probably not enough to break the lease. If he continues acting in this manner (dropping by unannounced), or if he fails to keep the premises in reasonable repair and fit for its intended purpose, you are likely to have a better argument. I hope it works out for you. Kind regards, Akiva.

My answer should be construed as general information only, and it should not be considered legal advice. No attorney-client relationship with me has been created until I have signed a retainer agreement. Please contact my office at 586-268-2400 for a free initial consultation.

Based on the facts given, you would not be able to break your lease. Your lease probably doesn't allow subleasing. Your best option is to discuss your desire to move out with your landlord in hopes that they would somehow agree to it (in writing of course).

Recommended articles about Real estate