Trustee is claiming that the Personal Rep of father's will can NOT prepare the final tax returns?

Asked about 2 years ago - Silver Spring, MD

I am the Personal Rep for my fathers will. My brother is Trustee for his Trust. His lawyer
is claiming that I can not prepare the inheritance tax form and final 1040 return. I have been the person helping my father with all his returns and financial work for 38 years. When he got sick last Sept, he was convinced by my brother to change the Trustee position to his name.
Now there is tension! between the 4 adult siblings. I have the Fed Id number for his new Estate trust but are there other forms that need to be filed with IRS? And how can his attorney even suggest that I can't prepare these forms? And if he has his CPA prepare the Trust 1041, should I be able to view it before it's mailed in? Thanks

1. James P. Frederick

1

Answered . You have three different tax returns that need to be filed. You have the final 1040 for your father. You have the 1041 for the estate, and you have the 1041 for the trust. As personal representative, you certainly are the only person in position to file for the estate. You would probably also be the authorized party to file your father's final return. The trust return would be the responsibility of the trustee. I do not see any harm in your reviewing the form ahead of time, but the trustee would not be obligated to provide it to you ahead of time.

Given the situation with your brother, you definitely need to hire a lawyer to assist you.

James Frederick

2. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with Attorney Frederick's answer on the number of tax returns and who is responsible for filing them. Your MD attorney can send everyone a letter of explanation.