Trust and will states to use as much of the principal to maintain the lifestyle the minor were used to. What is that lifestyle?

Asked about 1 year ago - Norfolk, VA

My ex paid or was suppose to pay expenses plus paid spousal and childsupport. Which all stopped. Its 7 months ago. Luckily he left certain assets out of the estate, however his administrator is trying to put that money in the estate. My ex had more than I, I have been keeping the lifestyle a certain way which is way above I should be spending, now that I dont receive spousal or child support. His administrator never initiated to set up those trust, however he has enough liquids. I feel they are delaying, and so the kids lifestyle is not at all anymore as they were used to. What is lifestyle they were used to mean? As before? Their dad or their moms lifestyle

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Kevin Duane Frank


    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There is clearly a lot going on here with multiple issues and overlapping areas of law. It is not possible to give a clear answer in this format. You should set an appointment to meet with a local attorney to review the documents and discuss you case in detail.

    The information contained in this message is for general informational purposes only. It is not intended to be... more
  2. Steven M Zelinger


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This is quite confusing as written...not really sure what the question is. I think you need a lawyer to guide you.

    This is not legal advice nor intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided here is... more
  3. David Michael Mccormick


    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . If he is not paying spousal or child support, file a show-cause petitioin in J&DR Court . It is his responsibility to pay you, whether the money comes from the trust or his paycheck. There are alot of side issues here, so please consult with an experienced attorney in your area. Most, like our firm, offer a free consultation.

    Thank-you for the question. Wishing you the very best!

    David McCormick- Divorce and Custody Attorney with McCormick & Calderon, established in 1996 with offices in Norfolk, Virginia Beach, and Newport News.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Inheritance and Divorce: Divide or Keep?

If you are seeking to retain possession of an inheritance during a divorce, certain rules apply for whether you can keep the entire amount.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,073 answers this week

2,924 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,073 answers this week

2,924 attorneys answering