Trust, Will and spousal trust and will

Asked about 2 years ago - Lansing, MI

When i prepare my trust and will, the trust and spousal trust and the spouse will has to be done at the sametime ?

1. Scott Matthew Nichol

3

Answered . Generally, there is no legal requirement that you and your spouse prepare estate planning documents at the same time. However, depending on the individual estate planning goals of you and your spouse it may make practical sense to have the documents drawn up at the same time to ensure the overall goals of you and your spouse are achieved by whatever estate planning documents are drafted.

In order to advise you on what estate planning documents to prepare and when to prepare them, an attorney will need to know information about your family, your assets, your wishes regarding the distribution of your estate. etc.

Ultimately I would advise that you contact and estate planning attorney in your area to discuss your family, your assets and your estate planning goals to ensure that the correct documents and other proper steps are taken to achieve your goals.

Please feel free to contact my office if you have any questions.

2. James P. Frederick

2

Answered . It is not entirely clear what you are asking and what your concern is. I have had a number of clients sign their documents at different times. If one spouse is free on Monday and the other spouse cannot come in until Friday, that is not a problem. It does create potential issues in terms of funding the trusts, to make sure that dates are correctly set forth. But for the most part, this can be done.

If you are asking whether one spouse can do their estate planning separate and apart from the other spouse, this can also be done. It is less than ideal, because if the spouse who has done the planning is the first to go, then the assets will again be at risk, and the other spouse would need to do something right away to take care of things. That might be problematic, if the second spouse is incapacitated, at that point. Again...I am not sure if this is your situation, or you simply have documents that need to be signed at a different day or time.

James Frederick

3. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with Attorney Frederick-They can be done at separate times and do not have to be identical.