Trust, Will

Lansing, MI |

If document has a person as the personal representative, what document could that be on. Doesn't it mean when someone is listed as the person representative would be on a WILL?

Yes, personal representative is nominated in the will.

Attorney Paquette is correct. A Personal Representative (or "Executor" in some states) is designated in a will to manage assets. If a trust agreement is created to hold assets, a Trustee is named.

This information is presented as a public service. It should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor considered to be the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.

I agree with my colleagues. A Personal Representative is named in a Will.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

Actually the term "personal representative" is a blanket term used to refer to the person nominated in Will as well as the person appointed by the Court in estates where one died without a Will. Prior to 1978 Michigan used the term "executor" to refer to the person nominated in the Will, and the term "administrator" to refer to the person appointed by the Court in estates where one died without a Will. The Revised Probate Code came to the realization that the function of both the executor and the administrator was the same, and substituted the term "personal representative" to refer to both.

Wills and estates topics