Troubled Teen in Texas?

Asked over 2 years ago - Plano, TX

Hello I am not sure anyone can help me but I need all the suggestions I could get. I have a troubled 16 year old son. I am a single mother and he is completely out of control. To keep it short, he has keyed my car, broken windows, punched wholes in walls and ran away from home twice. He has not had to pay for any of his actions. I do not think he is on drugs or drinking but he is very sexually active. The school will not assist me in any manor. He is disrespectful to the point where no one in the family will help me with him, and not one is willing to take him in, not even his own grandmother. Please let me know if there is anything I can do legally?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Edward P. Fahey Jr.

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . This is a very difficult and trying situation.
    Not easy to resolve.

    The options that are available to you, would represent to him, learning the easy way or
    the hard way.

    The hard way. When he is destroying your property, he is breaking the law.
    Call the police. He will be processed through the juvenile justice system. The people
    who run that system are pretty good at finding out what is causing this behavior, and
    they will provide your son with consequences for his bad behavior. This is what you can do, legally.

    Once the child is before the juvenile court, that court, upon motion of a party, may make a determination whether the child has a "mental illness." If the court so determines, it will order the child to be examined by court-appointed doctors, the doctors will report back to the court, and the court may then conduct "commitment proceedings" or refer those proceedings to a higher court. If the child is "committed," then he will be ordered to be cared for and treated, which may entail detention in a mental health facility or out-patient care while living at home. The treatment and care may be long or short, but the commitment order will automatically expire 120 days after the child reaches the age of 18.

    The easy way. Talk to him. Tell him you are worried about him. Ask him what is wrong, what is behind the bad behavior. Likely, he will not want to tell you. OK, then fine. Will he be willing to talk to a licensed professional counselor? If he absolutely refuses to go to the counselor, he is stuck with the "hard way."

    I am not your lawyer. You are not my client. I am giving general advice, not knowing all of the facts of your... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,922 answers this week

3,058 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,922 answers this week

3,058 attorneys answering