Trouble with living will by aunt who died. Not benificiary of will, but qualify as intestate heir. Need help with challenge.

Asked 12 months ago - San Mateo, CA

Aunt/my mother very close. Aunt survived husband and only child. I was like her second son. My cousin is executor and she and her daughter, and her sister are listed as beneficiaries, along with a friend of the family. My aunt had asked me if I wanted to be in the will, to which I had said yes.
My mother convinced my aunt to leave me out. She now regrets that position. My cousin is not being forthright about information. I suspect deliberate intention by her to disinherit me. She claims it is up to the other beneficiaries to agree to allow me my share; however, I received a copy of the will from the court which leaves the entire matter of disbursement to her choice alone. There is more, but the jist of the matter is that I'm not being told all, and think I'm being left out illegally. Help.

1. Charles Richard Perry

Pro

5

Answered . Unfortunately, you have no legal right to enforce as to the estate of your aunt. You were not a named beneficiary, and the people who were named have no obligation to grant you anything from the estate. In addition, nothing suggests an issue of fraud or undue influence in the making of the will.

2. Charles Adam Shultz

3

Answered . I agree with Mr. Perry. In addition, extrinsic evidence will not be allowed to prove your aunt's intentions.

3. Steven M Zelinger

Pro

4

Answered . I agree with the other attorneys in that if you are not a named beneficiary you will have an extremely difficult time convincing anyone you are entitled to a share.

4. Gregory Paul Benton

1

Answered . The Will leaves too much to one person's discretion. But if it is as you say, then you have a right to challenge the administrator's discretion. You will need to prove to the court that it was your aunt's intent to leave you something to inherit. This isn't easy. I strongly advise that you seek the services of an attorney.