Tricky Situation with H1b visa .

Asked 11 months ago - Montville, CT

Hi All,

I have a tricky situation and I am trying to find a legal way to make things work for me.
I am an IT consultant professional with a company for 10 yrs. I came to US in 2005 on H1b visa and left US on Sep 13 2012 , leaving about 45 days on my H1b visa(out of 6 years quota).

Currently I am in Canada (from Sep14 2012- Till Date) . My company is NOT filling H1/L1 for me and looking at an option for sending me back to my country.

I am looking at the option to come to US on valid Visa . Is there any scenario where I can come to US ?
here is one options I see , please suggest:

Get a new company to file H1 ext for me for remaining 45 days , come to US and while working apply for Extension again ... is it possible and it so on what basis will I request extension?

1. Dana Roxana Bucin

1

Answered . Call a good/ creative immigration lawyer to recommend options. These cannot be recommended in the abstract without analyzing your resume and your background and your personal immigration goals. There is no way around a private consultation with an attorney if you really want solid advice that's going to help you.

2. Lynn Marie O'Brien

2

1

Answered . If you have been outside the U.S. for over one year (which you have if you left in SEptember 2012), then you are eligible for a new H-1B visa with 6 years availability. You have restarted the H-1B clock so to speak by staying outside the U.S. for 1 year. If you try to re-enter using the remaining 45 days that you have, you would not be able to avail yourself of the resetting the H-1B clock. Of course, since you will be applying anew, you will have to be counted against the cap again so you wouldn't be able to be sponsored until April 1, 2014, for an October 1, 2014 start date (unless you intend to work for a cap exempt company such as a non-profit or university, etc..

3. Alena Shautsova

Pro

1

1

Answered . You should really consult with an attorney over the phone or Skype. Unfortunately, this forum is not suitable for specific legal advice.