Trial and the strength of an alibi.

Atlanta, GA |

I don't really understand how the courts work but I know that a person is going to trial and though he has a couple of alibi witnesses because he wasn't even at the place the crime happened but three other people say he was. I thought an alibi is the strongest defense?

You touched on the important issue in your question. An alibi is a strong defense, that is, until it is contradicted by other evidence. In that scenario, the jury will be tasked to determine which witness to believe and which to discredit. Presumably you/or the person accused, retained a lawyer if so, you may want to spend time discussing your case with him/her. If not, retain a lawyer as soon as practicable.

Best regards,

S. Carlton Rouse, Esq.
Rouse & Co. LLC

Comments provided by S.Carlton Rouse are not intended to create an attorney/client relationship. In addition, the answer provided was based upon the limited information provided online, as such, any opinion/suggestion/comment could likely change after consultation and/or further review of the facts/documentation. For adequate legal advise, you should contact a lawyer and have a detailed consultation.

The person charged need an attorney if they do not have one. I suggest that all issues of this case are discuss with their attorney and their attorney only. If they do not have an attorney, please feel free to give our office a call at 404-636-6616.

An alibi is certainly a component of some strong defenses, but it is not a "magic bullet." The state has a variety of ways to combat or rebut an alibi defense, and that can lead to a conviction. Remember, the State has the burden of proof. They must carry that burden or the jury will be instructed to acquit.

Hey Look, A Disclaimer. And it is kind of witty. Kind of. To wit: Information Provided SHOULD NOT be relied upon as binding legal advice as no advice can be reliable unless a full review of all facts has been conducted. No attorney-client relationship exists unless there is a signed retainer between the parties. My Firm does not offer ANY tax advice. The Most Costly and Expensive Advice you will ever get is from a Cheap Lawyer. Do yourself a favor and interview several lawyers before choosing the one that works best for you. Remember, Bad Lawyers make all their money through marketing. Good Lawyers make all their money by winning cases.

Professional ethics topics

Recommended articles about Professional ethics