Trespassing citation.

Easton, MD |
Filed under: Criminal trespass

Two of my friends and me were charged with trespassing. We weren't out of the car, we were turning around because we made the wrong turn. The stop sign where we made the turn didn't have a "No Outlet" sign. It wasn't till we got down to the docks when we saw a sign saying it was closed after 11pm. So we start heading back and the cop pulls us over and issue the citation.

1. You have a possible defense to the charge if the sign was not placed properly where you could see it when you entered. Consider getting an attorney or the Public Defender if you cannot afford a private attorney.

This answer is being given for general informational purposes only and is not protected by the attorney-client privilege since this is a public forum. The information provided does not create an attorney-client relationship. No communications with me on this forum shall be construed as arising out of an attorney-client relationship. If a client needs specific legal advice or opinions, he or she should retain counsel for advice or to undertake representation.

2. I encourage you to retain counsel. There is a question of intent. You did not intend to trespass and without a sign it will be hard to prove that you intended to go onto the "closed" property. Even though the State has the burdened of proof, it's always better to approach a case with the evidence to "prove" your position. Good luck!

**Admitted in the State Courts of MD, NJ, NY; Federal District Court of Maryland, Federal Southern District of New York, Federal Eastern District of New York, Federal District Court of New Jersey, Federal District Court of Maryland; Federal Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals and The United States Supreme Court. This answer may considered an attorney advertisement. This statement does NOT constitute a full and thorough analysis of your situation. You must seek a consultation directly with an attorney. This advise does not create an attorney-client relationship - I do not know who you are. The communications posted on this forum are not priviliged as they are public and you should have no expectation of privacy. Anything you write can be used against you in a court of law. Therefore, please do not submit any confidential information. Please telephone for consultation. The sender therefor does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of timing of this message. if you have any questions about this , please call my office. In accordance with internal Revenue Service rules, any federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written by the author to be used, and cannot be used by the IRS. Please contact the author if you would like to receive written advice in a format which complies with IRS rules and may be relied upon to avoid penalties.