Trespass notice from shoplifting

Asked about 1 year ago - Evanston, IL

I was made to sign a trespass notice in order to leave the store where I was detained for shoplifting. They said that this notice is valid in every Urban Outfitters and sister company. However, this was not witnessed by any legal attorney. Is this valid? Can they criminally charge me if I were to go into a UO in another state? I'm sure they put me into their shoplifting database and would probably evict me from the grounds if they did a background check within. However, do they have legal grounds (a felony?) to criminally charge me in a different state from where I was issued the trespassing notice?

They cite IL, Rev. Stat. Ch 720, para 5/21-3 (2009)

1. Melissa I. Smejkal

6

Answered . Yes, they can ban you.

2. John Paul Thygerson

Pro

7

1

Answered . You can be barred from entering other Urban Outfitters and if you decide to test this you can be charged with trespassing.

3. Michael Lawrence Doyle

6

Answered . Yes. It is private property and there is no requirement that they allow you on it. If you were forbidden based upon race, religion, sexual orientation etc. That is one thing. However, forbidding you for suspected illegal activity is completely acceptable.

4. Judy A. Goldstein

4

Answered . You can be barred. Many retailers now work with facial recognition equipment. Why would you even consider taking a chance by going into a retail establishment where you have been barred?