Skip to main content

Treatment for car accident

Boston, MA |

I was hit by another vehicle and substaned neck injury.. I was seen by my primary and he wants me
to be seen by either physical therapy or a referral to a CHIROPRACTOR. Would the value of a potential
settlement change based on who I saw? physical therapy v. Chiropractor ?

Attorney Answers 9

  1. How can any of us give you an answer to that. Your injuries will define any value. Contact a personal injury attorney to discuss your rights and the value he or she places on your claim after reviewing all pertinent information, to include your medical records.

    Good luck.

    In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

  2. Many factors contribute to the value of your claim. If you are likable substantially increases the value of your claim. If you are not hurt how likable you are may not make a big difference. The nature and extent of your injury will be a substantially determining factor. If you have a serious injury and your medical provider is not a good witness that will certainly make a big difference. It seems to me that your concern is what weight a jury may give to a chiropractor as opposed to a physical therapist or a physician. Certainly the qualifications of your medical experts will make a difference. However, I would prefer to have an articulate, persuasive chiropractor over an orthopedic surgeon who does not write good reports and cannot testify. So the answer to your question is that it depends on the nature and extent of your injury and the quality of expert you call to testify.
    I recall from the OJ trial that some of the prosecution witnesses were more qualified but the defense experts were better at explaining concepts.

    If you feel this is the "best" answer or is "helpful," please indicate. Since I am limited to the information you provide, I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the answer. You should seek the advise of an attorney who can explore all aspects of your question. This communication does not form an attorney client relationship.

  3. there is no way of estimating until you are done treating, consult an attorney.

    My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced 39+ yrs. I can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practicein Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. I give only appointments over the phone., these services do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend as I do not believe in pulling punches or sugar coating the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ and I would appreciate it if you feel like marking my answers helpful or best. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are court documents , less expensive.

  4. The answer to your question is yes. Our office has handled thousands of such cases, and insurers tend to discount chiropractors in particular. So, if you are looking to settle your case without a lawsuit, a physical therapist may result in a higher offer, but likely not much more. It is very important that all of your treatment be reasonable and necessary. Insurance companies are distrustful, tight with money, and often unreasonable. They prefer to see reports from MDs. How a jury may react to a chiropractor vs. pt is less clear.

  5. The value of your case is based on the extent of injuries and the duration of any symptoms and disability. Don't second guess this.

    Quick true story: I was in the middle of trial of an injury case at Boston Municipal Court and the insurance attorney was disparaging the chiropractic care and my client. The judge called us over for sidebar conference. The judge lambasted the insurance attorney and told a personal story about how he had tried everything for excruciating pain since his military service until seeing a chiropractor with great success. We were ordered out in the hallway to settle, and we did settle.

    If you are in fact serious about your own case, retain an attorney now. 10 reasons: BLUE LINK BELOW

    Law Offices of Andrew D. Myers, North Andover, MA & Derry, NH provide answers for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be given by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, thoroughly familiar with the area of the law in which your concern lies. This creates no attorney-client relationship.

  6. I would lean towards the physical therapist and a later consult with a Board Certified orthopedic surgeon.You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on

    Legal Disclaimer:

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

    Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

    This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  7. You should treat with whoever is going to give you the most relief from whatever pain you are experiencing and not worry so much how it will effect the "value" of your claim. You cannot put price on your health.

  8. Hire an experienced personal injury trial attorney to do this work for you. Follow the doc's advice my preference would be for PT.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics