Travelling to the US and bringing money

I will very soon get my green card through consular processing, then I will come and live permanently in the USA. My question is that I want to bring some money with me from my savings of my current job. The problem is that I don't have a bank account in the US. I know that I am allowed to bring only 10K on me. What are some options that you can advise when it comes to traveling to the US and bringing money. Thanks for any valuable tips.

Warren, MI -

Russell Reid Abrutyn

Russell Reid Abrutyn

Immigration Attorney - Troy, MI

When moving money from one country to another, you need to comply with the laws of both countries.

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

Immigration Attorney - New York, NY

None. This is not really an immigraiton question for two reasons . FIrst, as far as the immigration aspect of your quesiton is concerned, you already know the answer. The issue of taxes may be involved so you need to contact a tax attorney before you do anything

Bradley Lawrence Whitney Thomson

Bradley Lawrence Whitney Thomson

Immigration Attorney - Ann Arbor, MI

Talk to a CPA (Certified Public Accountant) in the USA to assist with this matter.

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Immigration Attorney - San Diego, CA

There is no limit to the amount of money in cash you can bring in with you, and you will not be "taxed" on it. You must, however declare any amount over $10,00O to what used to be "US Customs" and is now the CBP at the airport. They will have you fill out a Form, count the money and even give you an armed CBP escort put of the airport to a car which will be hopefully waiting to whisk you away.

John F. Brennan

John F. Brennan

Business Attorney - Saint Clair Shores, MI

I would suggest you speak with a CPA and would be pleased to refer you to one or have you engage my firm and we engage the CPA to maintain the attorney client privilege.

Ask your questions on our Q&A forum. It's free and anonymous.

Need to find an attorney? Browse our lawyer directory.