Travelling outside with Disorderly Conduct Charges and Immigration issues.

Asked about 2 years ago - East Brunswick, NJ

Hi ,
My friend in USA is on Green Card. He was charged with Shoplifting 2C :20-11B (2). He appeared in the court . He plead not guilty to this shoplifting thing. Instead it was downgraded and he plead guilty to Disorderly Conduct. (342-3) . He paid whatever fine at that and thats all. This is his only offense.

What are the Immigration issues he may come across when gets back to USA?
Is he okay to travel outside the USA and come back. He has already obtained Certified Court Diposition letter. Will he be denied entry or anything like that at Immigration ?

Any pointers are highly appreciated.

1. 8

Answered . if the disorderly is his only conviction, he should be ok. if and when in doubt, obtain all certificates of disposition and schedule a consultation with an attorney

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.
  2. 7

Answered . He should be readmitted based on that conviction, though he should have the original with him. He really should set up a consultation with an immigration lawyer before leaving so he understands all the possibilities of his situation.

3. 7

Answered . Usually disorderly conduct is not a crime involving moral turpitude. Bring a certified copy of the disposition.

4. 5

Answered . He should contact an immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues. If you appreciate the time spent preparing this answer, kindly consider marking it BEST ANSWER or HELPFUL. Also, please be sure to read my disclaimer below. Good luck to you.

Dean P. Murray
    The Murray Law Firm
    560 Sylvan Avenue
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
    T: (201)875-2600
    F: (201)549-8700

5. 5

Answered . He should be Ok. But i would speak to an immigration attorney to be sure.

6. 4

Answered . This was a violation of the Old Bridge, New Jersey municipal code?