Traveling out of country with a misdemeanor DUI.

Longmont, CO |

Hello, I have been trying to gather information on traveling outside the U.S.. I was pulled over last year and was convicted of a misdemeanor DUI in April of 2012. I am trying to gather information on if there are any limitations on traveling outside of the U.S. with a misdemeanor DUI on my record? Any assistance is greatly appreciated. I am currently under unsupervised probation but I do not intend on traveling until I have fullfilled all of my DUI classes, etc. I am currently in good standing and have a clean record other than this DUI on my record.

If you are not being supervised, there should be no restrictions on travel unless they are specificity in your paperwork (the protection order issued in every Colorado criminal case)

That is, unless the country where you intend to travel has some restrictions on travel by convicted of DUI, but I've never heard of that.

This is general informational response is based only on the information given. It should not be relied upon without consulting a lawyer and getting a full consultation. This response to the question does not create an attorney-client relationship. This is general informational response is based only on the information given. It should not be relied upon without consulting a lawyer and getting a full consultation. This response to the question does not create an attorney-client relationship. Mark Solomon Criminal Defense Attorney Solomon Law, P.C. 2600 S. Parker Rd, Suite 3-134, Aurora, CO 80014 (720) 722-2050 http://www.solomonesq.com/

Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

Canada does bar people with DUI or Reckless.

To the best of my knowledge there are no restrictions against traveling out of the country with a misdemeanor conviction. If you are under unsupervised probation and you do not intend to travel until after you have completed the terms of your sentence, you should be fine.

Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

Canada does bar people with certain misdemeanors (including DUI) from setting foot in their country, including a plane stopover.

If you are on supervised probation, check with your probation officer.

You can contact Ms Joffe at 303-757-6572, Legal disclaimer: We at the Joffe Law FIrm wish to help you. While the above answer is intended to provide general information only, does constitute legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship. We strongly suggest that you seek legal counsel.

You should be aware that Canada can reject persons at the border with a DUI. While this might not happen in every case it has been done frequently from our understanding. In Canada a DUI is roughly considered a felony (the legal process are different).

Here is the relevant immigration rule:

• (b) having been convicted outside Canada of an offence that, if committed in Canada, would constitute an indictable offence under an Act of Parliament, or of two offences not arising out of a single occurrence that, if committed in Canada, would constitute offences under an Act of Parliament;

A DUI is an indictable offense. You can explore applying for an exception before you travel by visiting the Canadian Embassy's US website. This travel restriction often catches people off guard and you should make sure in advance you will have no problems.

These statements do not constitute legal advice. They are meant to be general in nature, for any specific legal questions you should always seek the counsel of an experienced attorney.

DUI topics