Traveling out of country with a misdemeanor DUI.

Asked about 2 years ago - Longmont, CO

Hello, I have been trying to gather information on traveling outside the U.S.. I was pulled over last year and was convicted of a misdemeanor DUI in April of 2012. I am trying to gather information on if there are any limitations on traveling outside of the U.S. with a misdemeanor DUI on my record? Any assistance is greatly appreciated. I am currently under unsupervised probation but I do not intend on traveling until I have fullfilled all of my DUI classes, etc. I am currently in good standing and have a clean record other than this DUI on my record.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Mark S. Solomon

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . If you are not being supervised, there should be no restrictions on travel unless they are specificity in your paperwork (the protection order issued in every Colorado criminal case)

    That is, unless the country where you intend to travel has some restrictions on travel by convicted of DUI, but I've never heard of that.

    This is general informational response is based only on the information given. It should not be relied upon... more
  2. Danyel S. Joffe


    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you are on supervised probation, check with your probation officer.

    You can contact Ms Joffe at 303-757-6572, Legal disclaimer: We at the Joffe Law FIrm wish to help you.... more
  3. Russell J Hebets

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should be aware that Canada can reject persons at the border with a DUI. While this might not happen in every case it has been done frequently from our understanding. In Canada a DUI is roughly considered a felony (the legal process are different).

    Here is the relevant immigration rule:

    • (b) having been convicted outside Canada of an offence that, if committed in Canada, would constitute an indictable offence under an Act of Parliament, or of two offences not arising out of a single occurrence that, if committed in Canada, would constitute offences under an Act of Parliament;

    A DUI is an indictable offense. You can explore applying for an exception before you travel by visiting the Canadian Embassy's US website. This travel restriction often catches people off guard and you should make sure in advance you will have no problems.

    These statements do not constitute legal advice. They are meant to be general in nature, for any specific legal... more
  4. Adebayo Olusegun Adesina

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . To the best of my knowledge there are no restrictions against traveling out of the country with a misdemeanor conviction. If you are under unsupervised probation and you do not intend to travel until after you have completed the terms of your sentence, you should be fine.

Related Topics

DUI: An overview

The definition, charges, and penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) vary by state and depend on a number of factors.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,172 answers this week

3,211 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,172 answers this week

3,211 attorneys answering