Traveling out of country with a misdemeanor DUI.

Asked about 2 years ago - Longmont, CO

Hello, I have been trying to gather information on traveling outside the U.S.. I was pulled over last year and was convicted of a misdemeanor DUI in April of 2012. I am trying to gather information on if there are any limitations on traveling outside of the U.S. with a misdemeanor DUI on my record? Any assistance is greatly appreciated. I am currently under unsupervised probation but I do not intend on traveling until I have fullfilled all of my DUI classes, etc. I am currently in good standing and have a clean record other than this DUI on my record.

1. Mark S. Solomon

8

1

Answered . If you are not being supervised, there should be no restrictions on travel unless they are specificity in your paperwork (the protection order issued in every Colorado criminal case)

That is, unless the country where you intend to travel has some restrictions on travel by convicted of DUI, but I've never heard of that.

2. Danyel S. Joffe

Pro

7

Answered . If you are on supervised probation, check with your probation officer.

3. Russell J Hebets

6

Answered . You should be aware that Canada can reject persons at the border with a DUI. While this might not happen in every case it has been done frequently from our understanding. In Canada a DUI is roughly considered a felony (the legal process are different).

Here is the relevant immigration rule:

• (b) having been convicted outside Canada of an offence that, if committed in Canada, would constitute an indictable offence under an Act of Parliament, or of two offences not arising out of a single occurrence that, if committed in Canada, would constitute offences under an Act of Parliament;

A DUI is an indictable offense. You can explore applying for an exception before you travel by visiting the Canadian Embassy's US website. This travel restriction often catches people off guard and you should make sure in advance you will have no problems.

4. Adebayo Olusegun Adesina

7

Answered . To the best of my knowledge there are no restrictions against traveling out of the country with a misdemeanor conviction. If you are under unsupervised probation and you do not intend to travel until after you have completed the terms of your sentence, you should be fine.