Traveling abroad in the interim period between the interview to obtain a US citizenship and a ceremony of taking an oath.

Asked over 1 year ago - Bayside, NY

I will have an interview in March in the USCIS in Holtsville , NY . I have no way of knowing when I will be scheduled to take an oath . ( unless the interview and the oath take place on the same day ) My green card expires in September . I plan to travel abroad in October . Should I apply for the extension of a green card in April ? After I take an oath I am no longer allowed to use my foreign passport . What should I do if I am scheduled for the ceremony in September , since I may not have enough time to get a US passport prior to Oct departure Could my requesting an extension of the validity of a green card AFTER having the interview complicate my case ? Are there any provisions for special situations ( eh death of a close relative ) , say in October , when my current green card expired ?

1. Jeffrey Jose Estrella

Answered . I don't think you could complicate the case by applying for an extension of your greencard. I dont think you could not travel abroad. The question is you want to come back and may or may not be a sworn in US citizen yet. Is there anything that could be cause to detain you and deny you reentry? If you have a valid greencard, I don't see why they could deny you reentry. If there is no valid greencard but you are a sworn in USC because the ceremony took place before you left then you should be allowed reentry. If there is no greencard and no USC yet, you may have a problem but can probably get some way around it. Just make sure you have something to be legal here when you reenter the USA, if that is going to happen.

Jeffrey J. Estrella, Esq.
    www.estrellalawyer.com