Skip to main content

Travel to Puerto Rico from USA for non americans.

Chicago, IL |

I am currently in USA under Temporary Protected Status (Syria) with valid Employment Authorization Document (expires Mar 2015). Can I travel for one week vacation to Puerto Rico on my IL Driving License and be admitted back to USA with no problems?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Citizens of other countries (non Americans) have the same requirements as for entering the USA when travelling to Puerto Rico. Potential visitors must first obtain a visa, either a non-immigrant visa for temporary stay or an immigrant visa for permanent residence. The 90-day "visitor" visa is a non-immigrant visa to enter the United States temporarily. Those planning to travel to Puerto Rico for a different purpose, such as study or temporary work, must apply for specialized visas (either an M-1 or F-1 class). A visa is not a guarantee of entry into Puerto Rico. The bearer of a visa is subject to inspection at the port of entry by U.S. Department of Homeland Security officials who have authority to deny admission.


Yes, since you are apparently admitted to the U.S. in valid status, you should be able to. Bring evidence of your approved TPS etc. along with you just in case, but usually a valid state-isseud driver's license is all they require to see when you travel from a state in the U.S. to Puerto Rico and back, at least based on my personal experiences. Good luck.

Gunda J. Brost Brost Law Office This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.


Yes, you can travel to Puerto Rico. Make sure to bring proof of your temporary protected status.

Please consult with a licensed immigration professional to provide you with a thorough legal advice. This response is not a substitute for specific legal advice and it should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship. Please help stop notario fraud. Please visit and share this site:

Gunda Johanna Brost

Gunda Johanna Brost


I agree.

Mary Carmen Remigio Madrid-Crost

Mary Carmen Remigio Madrid-Crost



Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer