Travel to Mexico while on B1/B2 visa

New York, NY |

If someone is in UNited States on B1/B2 multiple entry visa, can they travel to Mexico for few days and then re-enter US? Will it be considered continuous stay or will they get new I-94 card upon reentering? thank you

You usually get a new I-94 any single time that you enter the US. However if you have to many entries with no clear purpose the Immigration authorities may deny your entry. Or if you over stay your B1 visa they can also deny your entry.

Thank you for your response. my friend will be visiting me for 2 weeks in New York, and when he's here I'd like to take him to Mexico for a quick 5-day vacation, he's only been here once few years ago and never overstayed his visa, and I read that he should be able to go to Mexico and come back as long as it's less than 30 days, according to this website: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/751/~/traveling-to-other-countries-while-in-the-u.s.-on-a-b1-or-b2-visa Have you heard anything about this? Thank you for your help, I appreciate it.

I agree with the other attorney. Also, you must have permission to enter Mexico.

Andre Olivie, Esq.
206-724-1940
www.olivielaw.com

Legal disclaimer: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Do not rely on this advice without speaking to an immigration attorney in detail about your case. This message does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Thank you for your help.

Travel to a contiguous area for up to 30 days does not require a new B-2
visa to re-enter the U.S. The same I-94 card is used as the stay is
considered continuous. There are some exception to this rule (such as
when the alien applies for a visa while abroad).

Thank you for your help.