Travel outside of the US while applying for I-130

Asked 8 months ago - Layton, UT

my 80 years old father (who has health problems) accompanied by my brother who both are Japanese citizen and came to the US with VWP. And my dad had really hard time coming here can not fly anymore so he decided to stay with me here in the US (I am a US citizen). I filed I-130 for my father and thinking about file I-130 for my brother so he and I both can take care of my dad. However, my brother has a trading business in his country and need to go back and forth between the countries (Japan, China, the US). How will applying I-130 for him (F4-1 visa) affect his travel arrangement?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Jared S Lawrence

    Contributor Level 6

    Answered . These questions are more complicated than a simple yes or no. All of the circumstances must be taken into account and you need to know all of the options before you proceed. You need to make a consultation with an attorney.

    EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS in UT email: and phone: (801) 746-8391. The information... more
  2. Alexus Paul Sham


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You should contact an immigration attorney. Your I-130 for your father may be denied because he overstayed VWP. As for your brother, an I-130 generally means that he has the intent to reside in the US. However, since it takes over a decade to process a sibling petition, you may be okay.

    Alexus P. Sham-The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

21,675 answers this week

2,709 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

21,675 answers this week

2,709 attorneys answering