Travel outside of the US while applying for I-130

Asked 8 months ago - Layton, UT

my 80 years old father (who has health problems) accompanied by my brother who both are Japanese citizen and came to the US with VWP. And my dad had really hard time coming here can not fly anymore so he decided to stay with me here in the US (I am a US citizen). I filed I-130 for my father and thinking about file I-130 for my brother so he and I both can take care of my dad. However, my brother has a trading business in his country and need to go back and forth between the countries (Japan, China, the US). How will applying I-130 for him (F4-1 visa) affect his travel arrangement?

1. Jared S Lawrence

Answered . These questions are more complicated than a simple yes or no. All of the circumstances must be taken into account and you need to know all of the options before you proceed. You need to make a consultation with an attorney.

2. Alexus Paul Sham

Pro

Answered . You should contact an immigration attorney. Your I-130 for your father may be denied because he overstayed VWP. As for your brother, an I-130 generally means that he has the intent to reside in the US. However, since it takes over a decade to process a sibling petition, you may be okay.