Skip to main content

Travel on I-551 stamp on passport

Philadelphia, PA |
Filed under: Immigration Green cards

I applied for the removal of conditions about 1 year ago. I haven't received my new Green Card yet and because of the increased waiting period, chances are that I will have to wait longer. I 've had a stamp put in my passport, which serves as a temporary evidence of the lawful admission to the US. I have been also told that I don't have to wait for my case to be approved in order to travel abroad,since this stamp allows me to do so and to return to the US while my case is pending. My question is whether the stamp in my passport is good enough for customs, or do I have to have the actual Green Card? What are the chances that they won't let me go back to the states without having the actual GC?

Attorney Answers 2


Good question. I recently had a client with a similar experience. A stamp should be enough. If you would feel more comfortable with having a green card in hand, you can call Homeland Security and ask where the card is. Nicely explain that you are leaving the country and would like to know when you can receive. But remember this is a bureaucracy and it may take awhile to receive the card.

Mark as helpful


A valid stamp is enough.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Mark as helpful

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics