Transmission of Child Pornography in Florida?

Pompano Beach, FL |

I was browsing twitter (social media) and unintentionally came across illegal images. I copied and pasted the link of the status (web url on twitter where the image appears) to a email message which i sent to cp@twitter.com (this is twitter child sexual exploitation e-mail hotline) to report the material. Was any law broken?

If you're asking whether you are at risk of being prosecuted, I would suggest that the answer is no. You reported a crime to the proper party. If you feel compelled to do so, you could also report it to the authorities, but that may open up an entirely different bag of worms that you may not wish to deal with. Either way, your conduct as described would be difficult to criminalize so I think you can rest easy.

Posting an answer to your question does not create an attorney / client relationship such that you can or should rely on the information provided herein to take action. Instead, it is intended to simply provide you with information. I am not your lawyer and cannot provide you with legal advice unless and until I am hired to do so.

Criminal Intent is the issue here. Based upon your description of what you did I do not believe you would be found to have the requisite criminal intent to disseminate child pornography. You did exactly what should have been done and what is encouraged by the website.

Disclaimer: Answers to questions posted on Avvo.com are for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon since the information provided is very limited and it is not possible to properly evaluate the legal issues involved without having all the facts and thoroughly reviewing the applicable law. Neither do they constitute legal advice and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. You are not my client and I am not your attorney unless and until you and I sign an agreement of representation

Probably not. In criminal law there must be what is known as mens rea, criminal intent. There is none here.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq.,

It shouldn't be a problem, but I wouldn't type anything that can be construed as an admission in that you copied and pasted illegal images. If you were being monitored, they are seeing this. You do not have an attorney-client privilege in these forums.