Transitional Living- how many people per room is legal?

Reno, NV |

My son lives in a transitional sober living facility. It's a converted motel with a main living area and around 24 rooms like a standard room you'd get at say- a Motel 6. His rent is 150.00 which includes food, a laundry facility, and a 12 step program on-site. When he first arrived they told him there would be 2 per room. Recently, they've put in a bunk bed in each room and now have three to a room. These are very small rooms with a small bathroom. The rent is the same. I can't find occupancy laws in Reno, Nevada, so I don't know what the rules are when the amount of people changes regarding rent or how many people they can put in a particular space. There was no notification to the tentants about the change. Can anyone guide me on tentant rights in regard to this type of facility?

$150.00 a week rent per tenant (not tentant) sorry.

Look over the contract or lease. It is quite possible that the answers to your questions are in there.

For example, the lease could say up to 3 persons per room or it could say something different. Also, you could call Reno's zoning and licensing authority and find out how many persons are allowed per room in the facility.

If you found this information helpful, please click the up arrow below. Please note I am only licensed to practice law in Nevada and remember that my response is simply a comment to your the law related question. My comments and postings are NOT legal advice or opinions. Additionally, my comments and postings to your question and/or my follow up comments and postings do NOT create an attorney-client relationship between us. You cannot rely upon what I have written, because: (1) I do not have all of the information or facts which are needed to advise you or render an opinion; and (2) my comments are not legal advise and are not meant to be acted upon as legal advise. If you would like to obtain legal advice from me, then you need to hire me as your attorney. Thereafter, then we would review documents, evidence, and facts, in order to provide you with legal advice.

2. The law usually allows a fairly high density, I know I was surprised when I looked into it once. Local ordinances dictate the occupancy density here in California. I would call the city planning department, they could easily tell you what the ordinance is.