Transferring title of a FR from my name to an LL my wife and I own . . . are there tax or cost issues ?

This is a FR remodel and flip and I had to buy in my name only . I now want to transfer to an LL for liability reasons but the transfer isn't identical from me to my LL its from me to an LL my and my wife , and perhaps one other family member owns . Are there tax issues to con concerned about ?

It isn't clear to me what you are asking - what are your acronyms standing for?

In general, some tax issues to be concerned about are whether your income from the flip is ordinary income or capital gains, property tax and transfer tax to the extent that's a concern, etc. LEGAL issues also might include determining which entity type will be most effective for your goals, creating the entity or getting it into compliance (w suitable operating or buy-sell agreements, etc), and keeping title clear. You should hire a knowledgeable attorney to help you out.

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. The answer to question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. Mrs. Cook is licensed to practice law throughout the state of California with offices in San Diego County. She is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States, and is also licensed to practice before the United States Tax Court. IRS CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE: To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, please be advised that any U.S. federal tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used or relied upon, and cannot be used or relied upon, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code, or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

I agree your question is not clear. What is an FR remodel? It appears you may have a taxable event under the stated facts both as to income tax and a reappraisal for property tax purposes.

Why would you want to transfer the property to an LL for liability reasons if you're just flipping the house? Your best protection from a liability standpoint is insurance, not a separate business entity. I would personally seek legal and tax counsel before I gummed up the works.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Transferring title of a property from your name to an entity in the name of you and your wife should not create any tax issues. Of course it would help to know, as the other two lawyers mention in their responses, what "FR" and "LL" stand for. Of course if you are talking about a tax deferred exchange under Internal Revenue Code Section 1031, then the change of title after the transfer would be a bad idea.

For some reason, this program takes the abriviation of a Single Family Home (SFR) or Limited Liability Company (LLC) but doesn't print all three letters. Not speaking of a 1031 exchange. Basically, doing a major remodel on a property and want to take it out of my personal name and place it into a Limited Liability Company to separate this asset from moy other assets if it makes sense.

Tax law topics