Asked 10 months ago - Santa Ana, CA

Can a person do a transfer of ownership through a Quit Claim (as a gift) to their 3 year old grand child? Legally is it possible to have the property transferred to the child even though he is a minor? Or is there a different type of procedure that must be done rather than the normal recording of the Quit Claim?. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Shaun K. Boss

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . A minor does not have legal capacity to own property. You could put the property in a trust for the benefit of your Grandson.

    This answer does not constitue legal advice, nor does it creat an attorney/client relationship. If you are... more
  2. Oscar Ernesto Toscano

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Minors can not own property. Even if they could, they can't legally enter into contracts or sign the legal documents related to the property. Create a trust and deed the property into the trust. In my opinion, this is better than if you transfer the property to someone you trust to be held in trust for the minor grandchild.
    Los Angeles Real Estate Trial Lawyer

    I am licensed to practice in the state of California. I handle cases from Sacramento to San Diego. I have... more
  3. Stephen Ross Cohen

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Nice idea, but I agree with the other 2 attorneys.

    My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,115 answers this week

3,149 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,115 answers this week

3,149 attorneys answering