Skip to main content

Transfer of dollars from a foreign country

Cliffside Park, NJ |
Filed under: Tax law

Relatives owe me in foreign currency the equivalent of $35K in US dollars. They want to transfer the money to my US account. I live in the US and have no connections other than relatives to the other country. I heard that as long as the the transferred amount is under $10K I do not need to pay taxes or report the transfer to the IRS. I am planning to deposit the money in my children's bank account for their education. Is it true that I do not need to report the transfer as long as the amounts are under $10K? If this information is not correct, what should I do, whose advice should I seek?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Yes and no. It depends on other facts that we don't know. See a lawyer.

My answer is just my thought about your question, and not legal advice because you and I do not have an attorney-client relationship, which may begin only if we both sign a retainer agreement. Other lawyers may analyse your situation differently. Also, the answer may be different in your state. Be aware that I may not be licensed in your state. I am only licensed in Washington and Idaho. Be aware that my areas of practice may not cover your question. I practice Debt Settlement, Business, Asset Protection, Tax Reduction, Contracts, Real Estate Transactions, IRS, 501(c)3, State Departments: Labor and Industries, Employment Security, Revenue, Licensing.


Repayment of debt is not income. Interest earned on the loan is.
Wire transfer of funds into the US does not require a declaration with the Treasury department. Travelling into or out of the US with $10,000 or more of cash or financial instruments must declare it.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.


I agree that you should see a lawyer on this. Many things matter, including the status of the country the money is coming from and even who it is or what bank, if in an area the US deems questionable.

This should not be considered legal advice and is intended for educational purposes only. It does not constitute a contract for legal services between any parties. Answers are given to questions for which there may be additional facts not mentioned which might change the legal issues or consequences.

Tax law topics

Recommended articles about Tax law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer