TRANSFER FROM F1 VISA TO H1B VISA WITHOUT OPT

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

Hello,
I got a Bachelor's and started my OPT in November 2012; expires at the end of October 2013.
My current company doesn't seem like a good fit to sponsor my H1B (because the college courses I took don't quite fit what I do at work now, small size of company etc.).

I am thinking of getting a Marketing Certificate (1-year program, max 2-year F-1 status available). From my understanding, I can't get another OPT or CPT after the certificate because I already have Bachelor's.

1. Can I apply for H1B while enrolled in my certificate program?

2. Can I not work for the sponsor company until October 1st (assuming it's approved)? For example, I file for H1B in April, graduate in June, then my company has to wait until October to actually have me start working for them?

Thank you in advance!

1. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . The earliest that an H-1B can be filed in April 1, 2014. The earliest that you can be on H-1B is October 1, 2014.

Your employer needs to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise them, and handle the case. Your employer can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.

2. Philip Alan Eichorn

Answered . You do not have to be on OPT for your employer to file an H-1B petition for you. You must maintain status to change status. You cannot work for a company not authorized under you OPT and then file and change status.