Transfer deed from deceased parent, probate closed in CA but found out he was 1/6 owner of real property in HI?

Probate closed last year in California, I was executor and sole beneficiary of will. Recently found out that Dad owned 1/6 of real property in Hawaii. How do I get his deed transferred to my name without re-opening probate in California and opening probate in Hawaii?

Monterey, CA -

Joseph Michael Pankowski Jr

Joseph Michael Pankowski Jr

Probate Attorney - Stamford, CT

If your father owned the 1/6th interest as a "tenant in common", then you will need to open an ancillary probate in Hawaii. Please contact an experienced probate lawyer on the island where the property is located to assist you with this matter. Good luck to you.

Christine James

Christine James

Probate Attorney - Roseville, CA

Unfortunately it is likely you will have to open probate in HI. Probate in HI is very different that in CA. You might want to ask this question in HI (instead of CA) and perhaps you will find some assistance from someone from Avvo. In any event I think you will find it much less painful than the probate in CA.

Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Estate Planning Attorney - Largo, FL

Real estate is probated where it is located-so you will need to have an ancillary probate proceeding established in Hawaii.

Charles Adam Shultz

Charles Adam Shultz

Probate Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

Call Brandon Ito
http://www.avvo.com/attorneys/96815-hi-brandon-...

He recently helped me with a matter in Hawaii.