Traffic Citation with Wrong timing - it notes PM instead of AM !

Atlanta, GA |

A traffic citation was given to me for an 'Improper U-turn' - 40-6-121 . But, citation notes time of incident as 9:28 PM in evening, while it actually happened at 9:28 'AM'. Is it enough grounds for dismissal ? If so, what would an appropriate stage during court proceeding to bring it up ?

1. That is not grounds for dismissal. It is a minor error that is immaterial to the charge.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

2. I cannot answer for sure in Georgia, because I am not licensed to practice law there. However, in the jurisdictions where I am licensed a police officer or prosecutor can amend the citation to fix clerical errors such as Time location dates and even the name of the defendant in some cases, including social security number drivers license number and date of birth.

In short, this is probably not the ground for dismissal. To be sure, call the Georgia lawyer to check.

You can reach Mark Solomon at (720) 722-2050 for clarifications to any answers here. This is general informational response is based only on the information given. It should not be relied upon without consulting a lawyer and getting a full consultation. This response to the question does not create an attorney-client relationship. This is general informational response is based only on the information given. It should not be relied upon without consulting a lawyer and getting a full consultation. This response to the question does not create an attorney-client relationship. Mark Solomon Criminal Defense Attorney Solomon Law, P.C. 1733 High St. Denver, CO 80218 (720) 722-2050 http://www.solomonesq.com/

3. No. This is a deminimus, or scrivener's error. It is not enough of an error to render your citation fatally defective. At best, it could be used to call into question how accurately the officer was doing his job that day. Your best bet is to ask the prosecutor to reduce the charge to a non-moving violation, or participate in some type of court diversion program if the court has one.

James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. Any answer given assumes the person who asked the question holds a Georgia Drivers License, and this license is not a commercial drivers license (CDL). This response, or any response, is not legal advice. This response, or any response, does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.

4. I agree with counselor Yeargan. Although it seems like AM and PM should have some weight on your ticket but it doesn't. The court views issues such as those as scriveners errors.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. At this time, I am not accepting professional responsibility on this matter. No attorney/client relationship is created unless and until I receive a signed retainer agreement along with the requested retainer fee. If this matter is truly important to you, hire an attorney. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 678-510-1716 or mbarber@barberlegalcounsel.com if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). Without reviewing the appropriate paperwork It is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. Circular 230 Disclosure: Pursuant to recently-enacted U.S. Treasury Department Regulations, we are now required to advise you that, unless otherwise expressly indicated, any federal tax advice contained in this communication, including attachments and enclosures, is not intended or written to be used, and may not be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any tax-related matters addressed herein.