Trademarking an event name-What basics should I know?

Asked about 2 years ago - Dallas, TX

Hi I work for a radio station who has been asked to come on board as the main sponsor for a potential music festival. We are in the very beginning stages of considering the event and are looking into trademarking the festival name. We are a smaller station and do not have the resources to go through a lawyer to tell me where to start, or translate the complicated legal procedures. I would be very greatful if someone would be able to tell me the basics of what I should know going into this.
Thanks!

1. Orsen E. Paxton III

Pro

Answered . While there is nothing wrong with an individual representing themselves or doing legal work for themselves, an individual who is not licensed to practice law in Texas cannot perform legal work for another person or an incorporated entity. Neither you nor any other employee of that incorporated radio station can register a trademark either in Texas or federally. You cannot "advise" or inform anyone how to do it. All of that is practicing law without a license in Texas. It is a crime. An lawyer experienced in Texas trademark registrations would probably charge between $500 and $1000 to perform the registration. However, I am not saying that you can register the name of a music festival as a trademark (actually this would be a service mark). It depends.

DISCLAIMER: This is not specific legal advice and does not establish an attorney/client relationship.
  2. Mark S Britton

Answered . You can start here: http://www.avvo.com/topics/67-startups/sections...

I did a quick search on Trademark basics in Avvo and found dozens of helpful guides. Here is part 1 of a thorough 4-part guide. http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/trademark-...

With just a little search on Avvo you can learn a lot - for free.

Mark

3. John L Koenig

Answered . The internet is perfect for this kind of research. One site to check out is the US Patent and Trademark Office, which has lots of information about trademarks. Good luck.